Saturday, March 31, 2007

Texas A&M Vet School Open House

Well, after a rough week with David having an ear infection-took a second antibiotic to get him feeling better...we thought about what we might want to do on my weekend off. There were many options this weekend...an egg hunt at the George Bush Library/Museum, a livestock show, a blues and arts festival slightly out of town, chilifest in snook, something called bioblitz...BUT we chose to go to the Texas A&M Vet School's open house. It was free...except the concessions and any souveniers (which thankfully Sydney didn't beg for this time). We really weren't sure we'd go...thought we might sleep in too late (and we did take a while to actually get rollin') or actually it was supposed to be raining pretty bad we thought. However, it was a BEAUTIFUL day today! Sunny and cool...my favorite kind. They had all sorts of exibits and animal showings...we got there at 11:30...just in time for the dairy cow demonstration. Then at 12pm they had the search and rescue dogs doing a demonstration. We took a tour of the large animal hospital there...interesting to see the contraptions used to hoist horses up on a table for surgery upside down. We also saw some cool X-rays there too...one was a snake that had swallowed 2 golfballs. Sydney got some ice cream and then we were off at 1pm to see the frisbee dog demonstration. I think this was my favorite--very fun to watch! There was a trick horse demonstration at 2pm but Sydney was obviously getting tired because she was being VERY cranky and not minding...so we decided it was time to go. The only truly BAD part of the day was when I stepped on a wasp in my flip flops and got stung...for the first time in like 15 years or longer! (the other time was like in highschool when a wasp was in my hair and as I ran my fingers through...I thought it was a leaf so I grabbed it...and wowzer!) I thought it was a thorn at first...but it just kept hurting and then I looked back at my flip flop that I had jumped out of and there it was walking around it. Here are some pictures from our day.

Horse with his skeleton mapped out on him! Weird.

David Awake

David ASLEEP

Sydney watching the dairy cow demo...

David getting a boost to see what's going on.
Dairy guy talking about what all milk is used for, etc...

Search and Rescue Demo...there were about 8 trainers and their dogs...kinda hard to hear since there was the busy street right behind us and they were talking to the other side mostly...so I could not really follow what was going on most of the time.

Frisbee Dog had just ran up the mans back to catch that one!! This dog is the ONLY 5 time frisbee dog champion and is on one of the Eukanuba/Iams dogfood bags! Ooooh....celebrity!

Here he's in mid-flip for a disc...which is out of the shot.

Sydney getting a lesson in roping! She almost got it!

No comments: