#1 We are not the most fit and active of families...though we always manage to do some trails while camping. Josh picked up a flyer about Colorado Bend State Park...and there is a place where you hike to a waterfall (Gorman Falls). We decided we would take the cooler and picnic there and see the falls. We got there about 2pm and decided we weren't all that hungry...let's just do the trail. Well...dumb thing is...we completely forgot to bring water with us. I don't even remember how far the falls were supposed to be (probably a mile or 2)...but like I stated before...not the most fit of families. To say there was complaining along the way is putting it mildly. I was even saying...I can't believe we forgot the water...it's freakin' hot...we should probably turn back and call it quits now...but Josh pushed us on. We passed some people heading back...and they were totally like "GOOD luck...we never found the falls...we'd been walking for a good mile and a half already...we give up". Not the best of signs. Then I started freaking out that they were the only other people that WERE out here if something did happen to us due to dehydration!! And they are now gone!! hahaha! (funny now) We get to a point where the kids and I just wanted to sit and rest...so Josh goes ahead to see if it's much further. 6-8 minutes later he said he'd found it. So I was like...wow...only a few more minutes...we got this! It's really not as easy with 2 kids trying to trek over rocky paths. Then (the part that Josh had said I may not like)...there was a down hill climb (or fall maybe? j/k)...however it was lined with a metal rope/line to help you guide your way down. It wasn't too bad except our non-hiking shoes slipped alot which could be a bit scary. We all made it fine...Josh carried David the whole way down. The falls were pretty cool...especially knowing that our entire walk was mostly dead grass, dirt, rocks, cacti, and dead trees mostly...kinda neat that this oasis was inside. It was near a river too. There was a deck built at the site that we just sat on for a bit while we rested and took in the views. THEN...we had to make it back. UPHILL first...then...mucho walking again. I really started having headaches (Sydney too) about 30 minutes before we got to the car...then we poured water on ourselves and drank an entire bottle each. 4:30pm was our ending time...so 2 1/2 hours out there...no water. David was the trouper of the year...he was dancing down the path most of the time...no complaining. Though he did get carried some. Me and Sydney were more irritating to be sure. I was especially freaking out at the bugs/wasps/bees that kept doing flybys of my head!!! It's tiring ducking and dodging while you are walking!! Josh said we should do it again sometime...(with water)...I said NO! haha! I'm sure if any of my friends do this trail someday...you will be laughing at my ass for being such a weakling....but I say...leave your water in the car...and then tell me how you feel at 2pm in the heat of the day.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Inks Lake- part 2
So this post is about our hike from hell...
#1 We are not the most fit and active of families...though we always manage to do some trails while camping. Josh picked up a flyer about Colorado Bend State Park...and there is a place where you hike to a waterfall (Gorman Falls). We decided we would take the cooler and picnic there and see the falls. We got there about 2pm and decided we weren't all that hungry...let's just do the trail. Well...dumb thing is...we completely forgot to bring water with us. I don't even remember how far the falls were supposed to be (probably a mile or 2)...but like I stated before...not the most fit of families. To say there was complaining along the way is putting it mildly. I was even saying...I can't believe we forgot the water...it's freakin' hot...we should probably turn back and call it quits now...but Josh pushed us on. We passed some people heading back...and they were totally like "GOOD luck...we never found the falls...we'd been walking for a good mile and a half already...we give up". Not the best of signs. Then I started freaking out that they were the only other people that WERE out here if something did happen to us due to dehydration!! And they are now gone!! hahaha! (funny now) We get to a point where the kids and I just wanted to sit and rest...so Josh goes ahead to see if it's much further. 6-8 minutes later he said he'd found it. So I was like...wow...only a few more minutes...we got this! It's really not as easy with 2 kids trying to trek over rocky paths. Then (the part that Josh had said I may not like)...there was a down hill climb (or fall maybe? j/k)...however it was lined with a metal rope/line to help you guide your way down. It wasn't too bad except our non-hiking shoes slipped alot which could be a bit scary. We all made it fine...Josh carried David the whole way down. The falls were pretty cool...especially knowing that our entire walk was mostly dead grass, dirt, rocks, cacti, and dead trees mostly...kinda neat that this oasis was inside. It was near a river too. There was a deck built at the site that we just sat on for a bit while we rested and took in the views. THEN...we had to make it back. UPHILL first...then...mucho walking again. I really started having headaches (Sydney too) about 30 minutes before we got to the car...then we poured water on ourselves and drank an entire bottle each. 4:30pm was our ending time...so 2 1/2 hours out there...no water. David was the trouper of the year...he was dancing down the path most of the time...no complaining. Though he did get carried some. Me and Sydney were more irritating to be sure. I was especially freaking out at the bugs/wasps/bees that kept doing flybys of my head!!! It's tiring ducking and dodging while you are walking!! Josh said we should do it again sometime...(with water)...I said NO! haha! I'm sure if any of my friends do this trail someday...you will be laughing at my ass for being such a weakling....but I say...leave your water in the car...and then tell me how you feel at 2pm in the heat of the day.













#1 We are not the most fit and active of families...though we always manage to do some trails while camping. Josh picked up a flyer about Colorado Bend State Park...and there is a place where you hike to a waterfall (Gorman Falls). We decided we would take the cooler and picnic there and see the falls. We got there about 2pm and decided we weren't all that hungry...let's just do the trail. Well...dumb thing is...we completely forgot to bring water with us. I don't even remember how far the falls were supposed to be (probably a mile or 2)...but like I stated before...not the most fit of families. To say there was complaining along the way is putting it mildly. I was even saying...I can't believe we forgot the water...it's freakin' hot...we should probably turn back and call it quits now...but Josh pushed us on. We passed some people heading back...and they were totally like "GOOD luck...we never found the falls...we'd been walking for a good mile and a half already...we give up". Not the best of signs. Then I started freaking out that they were the only other people that WERE out here if something did happen to us due to dehydration!! And they are now gone!! hahaha! (funny now) We get to a point where the kids and I just wanted to sit and rest...so Josh goes ahead to see if it's much further. 6-8 minutes later he said he'd found it. So I was like...wow...only a few more minutes...we got this! It's really not as easy with 2 kids trying to trek over rocky paths. Then (the part that Josh had said I may not like)...there was a down hill climb (or fall maybe? j/k)...however it was lined with a metal rope/line to help you guide your way down. It wasn't too bad except our non-hiking shoes slipped alot which could be a bit scary. We all made it fine...Josh carried David the whole way down. The falls were pretty cool...especially knowing that our entire walk was mostly dead grass, dirt, rocks, cacti, and dead trees mostly...kinda neat that this oasis was inside. It was near a river too. There was a deck built at the site that we just sat on for a bit while we rested and took in the views. THEN...we had to make it back. UPHILL first...then...mucho walking again. I really started having headaches (Sydney too) about 30 minutes before we got to the car...then we poured water on ourselves and drank an entire bottle each. 4:30pm was our ending time...so 2 1/2 hours out there...no water. David was the trouper of the year...he was dancing down the path most of the time...no complaining. Though he did get carried some. Me and Sydney were more irritating to be sure. I was especially freaking out at the bugs/wasps/bees that kept doing flybys of my head!!! It's tiring ducking and dodging while you are walking!! Josh said we should do it again sometime...(with water)...I said NO! haha! I'm sure if any of my friends do this trail someday...you will be laughing at my ass for being such a weakling....but I say...leave your water in the car...and then tell me how you feel at 2pm in the heat of the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had to laugh. I've never done that hike, but we've had a similar experience doing a hike with no water. It's never happened again!! We always remember the water bottles now. :)
Post a Comment