Monday, May 30, 2011

'Bout Time...

Well, I've been out of the blogging biz for a while (almost a full year now!). I find that putting pics on facebook is much faster, so having to wait to upload to this site isn't the most fun. I think it's because I feel the need to share so many pictures. I may have to learn the art of just choosing a few pics to represent the entire post.

Well, we've done alot since my last post and I don't think I'm going to get around to posting about any of it. Most memorable was our trip to Disney World and Universal Studios in November...that was AWESOME! I did start a blog about it...but haven't finished (again...so many pictures to show!). If I do decide to finish it...I guess it's better late than never. :)

Most recently, we took a vacation to Arlington. We bought a Starcraft Travel Star RV (with side pop out beds) back in March and we decided that it would be fun and possibly cheaper to use it for our week long vacation, instead of getting a hotel. I'd have to say...it was cheaper for sure. We do have to pay for the site to set up in, but we were able to cook food ourselves and keep refrigerated items for sandwiches, so all in all we didn't eat out as much as we normally would.

Our definitive plans for the week were Six Flags, Rangers baseball game, and Fort Worth Zoo. We did get all of that in, and more. This was probably the most laid back vacation as far as planning goes that we've ever done. :) We had a book of "fun things to do in Texas" and found a couple things in there. We went to the Fort Worth stockyards for the cattle drive and a train ride, and then the Fort Worth museum of science and history. The day that we had planned to do six flags, it rained, so we just went to the mall and saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and then went bowling. Laid back I said. But then we had to decide where to stick our six flags day...we were crazy and decided that we'd do six flags the 1st half of the day we were going to the rangers ballgame. We actually had time between to just come home and relax a bit, so it really wasn't bad...until the weather changed for the worse. About the 4th inning...the sky started getting dark and threatening. We had already heard reports that the bad weather was coming right when the game started around 7pm...but it wasn't bad when we left and got to the game, so we didn't think it would be as bad as the weather report thought. We were mistaken. haha! After they stopped the game and put down the tarp to keep the field dry...we decided to go ahead and leave...it was just raining slightly. On our walk to the car, it started raining harder...then small hail. Weather like this...and hail...my mind starts to race about possible tornados...since they did say we were in a tornado warning. As we are driving through the city..I hear sirens...que the freak out...OMG....we're in a car...what do we do if we see a tornado....lets just get to the campsite that has a big shower/restroom structure we can hide in ASAP! Yes...being in a camper during such a thing was scary...but we didn't STAY in the camper during the bad weather...we're not stupid! While the sirens are still going off and we are just around the corner from our campsite....LARGE HAIL starts hitting the car and windshield (which really set me in panic mode). But we were almost there...we got to our parking spot and made a run for the bathroom building. Lots of other campers were there too...the hail coming down was at least quarter size up to maybe ping pong size. I'd never seen such large hail. Almost as soon as we got into the building....the hail and rain let up. We stayed and watched the weather on the little TV they had in the reading room of that same building and we saw that the worst had passed us. We went back to the RV and realized...we hadn't eaten and it's around 9:30-10pm at this time. Made some bologna sandwiches and put the kids to bed. Then the weather said another band was coming through...It was mostly wind and rain thank goodness...but I didn't sleep well that night. The next 3 days....AWESOME weather! We went to the zoo and then the museum of science and history, then home.

Unlike other trips....we made time for some friendly visits. We got to see my friend Cristina and her husband David and son Jacob on Sunday night for dinner. We met them in Irving for pizza and pasta. It's always great to see them and it had been a long time. Then we had dinner at Josh's cousin Darryl's house. They cooked fajitas and it was yummy and it was fun to meet his wife and kids too. Their son Shane (a freshman in highschool) seemed to really like David and vice versa....he took David out to play with their dogs and even gave him a cool toy/model car to take home. So sweet. We also got to visit with Josh's friend Jim, who met us at the zoo on Wednesday. That same night my college friend Carina invited us to eat dinner with them at a Chinese food place that was really yummy. Our last night in town we made steaks on the grill at the campsite...yummy!

Well, that's alot of story to tell, and I think I'll turn around and post some of the pictures in the next post...thanks for sticking with me if you read the entire post!!

No comments: