Thursday, October 15, 2009

State Fair 10/11/09

I've been trying to upload my pictures...but keep getting errors...so...I'll start with this...then I'll try a picture only blog later...

Well, we decided to skip the Brazoria County Fair this year in order to try out the Texas State Fair in Dallas! None of us had been before. We got a nice hotel for half it's usual price on priceline and it was right on the green DART rail line which stops at the fair park, so that was pretty cool. My only real complaint was that downtown is pretty shut down on the weekends...not much to do. We got there early on Saturday in order to eat at this mediterranean (sp?) restaurant that we'd eaten at once before (on our anniversary weekend last year). However...this year it was closed on the weekends. Bummer. So then we walked around (and heard Syd complain about it) for a while before finding another place we could all agree on. Pasta. It was ok. Apparently Syd was tired so we returned to the hotel for a nap...which no one but Daddy (partially) took. haha! We had hoped to visit our friend Cristina and her son Jacob (and maybe her new man!) later that evening for dinner or something, but unfortunately she had to work. We'll have to try again sometime! We went out again (see a theme for our trips?) for dinner and ended up in the West End part of downtown...which is more lively at least on the weekends. There were plenty of choices for dinner and we ended up at a place called Gators. I had an Island burger with pinapples and guacamole on it. It was really tasty! They also have horse drawn carriages there...but we didn't ride this time. Then it was back to the hotel to rest up for the next day!

At the fair: We started with breakfast at the Owen's Sausage building...waffles or pancakes for each of us! Then I spied the fried bacon stand! Oh...it was a MUST! I LOVE bacon! It did not disappoint! The we covered the kids territory...petting zoo, little hands on the farm, rides, shows! We also ended up trying fried twinkies, fried pecan pie and a fried chocolate truffle along the way. Josh also had something called a green goblin....some sort of jalapeno pepper thing. Others not attempted: fried cheesecake (have had that before), fried latte, and fried butter (the lines were impossible)! I'm sure I missed something.

It started to rain on us in the late afternoon, but we kept saying we wanted to stay for the illumination sensation show at the end of the night (8pm I think)...so we went into some of the exhibit halls. Saw a dog freestyle dance show. They were so awesome! Saw a monster truck and some cars on exhibit...not really exciting. Then we found a spot where they were giving 5, 10, 0r 20 minute massages. Eureka! So Josh said I should go for it...so I did the 10 minute one....way too short! :( Josh and the kids found some other interesting things to look at during my time in heaven.

Then we decided to go home and had to wait for a 2nd train b/c of the rude crowds (we were in the front of the line but somehow got squeezed out!?) . We had to get pushy ourselves to get on that 2nd train b/c they were trying to do it again. I guess having a stroller to lug is sort of a weak link! We still hadn't eaten dinner yet, so we went back to the West End area and found Hoffbrau (sp?)--A steak place...my steak was awesome! We were stuffed and ready for bed by that time.

All in all we had a great experience! Watching the kids on the rides and hearing them laugh at the shows was a great feeling! David doesn't like fried stuff (yet) so that meant more for the rest of us which is a good thing too! ;) haha! We'll be back again someday...but it was not a cheap mini-vacation, so I don't think it will be a yearly event in our family!

No comments: